Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Refinished Night Stands

A couple months ago my mom gave my sister a dresser that we were no longer using. My sister no longer needed the two small dressers she had so I asked her if I could have them. She told me that my neices had colored on them with pen and marker but that I could take them off her hands.
I brought them home determined to get the ink out. I looked over each side table and went on pinterest to figure out how in the world I was going to get the ink out. It wasn't too long before I found a post suggesting bleach.
I grabbed a scotch brite sponge and diluted a small amount of bleach in some water. I dipped my sponge into the mixture and started scrubbing at the ink. To my surprise the ink started to come out no problem. Some areas were really easy to remove and others needed quite a bit of elbow grease.
Once I finished getting out most of the ink I washed the tables with soap and water and let them sit overnight. Okay that's not totally true. I actually let them sit in my garage for three months. I couldn't decide what I wanted to do with them. Did I want to stain? Or take a different approach and do a fun bright color? It wasn't until my brother asked if I would paint them for him that I decided what to do. I had a black stain from a previous project and I knew that's what I would use.
I sanded each piece and wiped off. I did a light first coat and let it dry. After it was dry I took a sanding block and distressed some edges and made it look old. Once I had distressed it to my liking I used a polycrylic finish and was done. I loved the way they turned out but was kinda sad that they weren't going in my room.

No comments:

Post a Comment